Tuesday, October 25, 2005

We take for granted

We take for granted so many things in our lives, food, clothing, shelter, and simple cognitive function.
Today is my Gramma Brown's birthday. She is turning 68 and has such severe dementia that i doubt if she even realizes that this is her special day.
Back in the day there would have been a party of family and friends. She wouldve gotten her hair done, probably bought a new top or pair of shoes. She would have been all dolled up and there would have been a celebration. Maybe nothing more then a family get together at soemones house, or the girls wouldve taken her out for dinner. But she would have known it was her birthday and she would have probably played with her hair saying "oh now you didn t have to do that" or soemthing along those lines when a gift was given to her. Today, although i could write about many things, i am choosing to leave this one all for her. She will never see this but it has to be said: Happy Birthday Gramma I love you!!!!

2 comments:

Adirondack Explorer said...

Naomi,
Today is a special day and you have captured it well. I'll write on my blog later tonight, but in the meantime, thank you for this.

Dad

Sarah said...

I can only imagine how you must feel - as my Grandma Brown (Dee Dee) is doing better than her sister at the current time. I know that Dee Dee isn't handling it well though, and so whenever I'm with her, I cherish those times because I realize that her time is also limited. How frail life can be. I'll be thinking of you and your family in the coming days.